NEW SOUTH WALES CHRISTADELPHIAN COMMITTEE INC
TEACHING SPECIAL RELIGIOUS EDUCATION (SRE)
IN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS IN N.S.W.
Teachers of SRE in schools should remember that they are
to assist young people to “grow in grace and in the
knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ”
(2 Peter 3:18).
- 2.1 Teachers of SRE in government schools are
required to adhere to local school policies and
procedures, in conformity with DET requirements.
- 2.2 Christadelphian SRE teachers tend to teach a
single student or small group within a school, with
the Principal’s permission. Other students may go into
large groups of Protestant scripture, for example.
- 2.3 SRE teachers are required to complete a
Working with Children Check before commencement of
duties. The procedure is explained at
After completion on line and confirmation at the
RMS, details should be forwarded to the Principal
of the school.
- 2.4 SRE teachers should also supply the details
to the N.C.C. Secretary, since the N.C.C. is
the only recognised authority for the teaching of
Christadelphian SRE in N.S.W.
3. Content of Lessons
- 3.1 Lessons may vary according to student need.
They should always have a spiritual, Biblical focus.
- 3.2 Lessons may include work on the Australian
Christadelphian Sunday School Union (A.C.S.S.U.)
project for the year. The project aims to reinforce
lessons in the A.C.S.S.U. curriculum. This would
allow more individualised attention on a very
specific learning process.
- 3.3 Lessons may include completion of the previous
Sunday School lesson. Most lessons in the A.C.S.S.U.
notes have extra activities which often cannot be
completed within the time allocated so extra time
in SRE lessons would assist in rounding off the
- 3.4 Other materials published for Scriptural
lessons may also be used e.g. C.S.S.U. (U.K.).
4. Professional Development
- 4.1 SRE teachers should attend Child Protection
training organised by the N.C.C.
- 4.2 All teachers should undergo appropriate
training in classroom management procedures as
required by the N.C.C., both before and during
the delivery of the SRE course.
25th February 2015